Saturday, March 12, 2005

AULA Day Two: Senor de Los Anillos

Hordes of high schoolers. I am Frodo, trapped in Mordor by swarms of hideous Orcs (but even the Ors were able to communicate in the common tongue), and I have no Sam as boon companion. The loitering and smoking at the snack stand (Mt Doom) has already begun. Mordor is the size of an airbus hangar, yet there is already a visible miasma of smoke. The slopes of the mountain are strewn with the litter of Orc meals. Next to me the juggler (Nazgul) continues to draw in students to the British Council booth (Sauran’s Tower).


Mt. Doom and environs

Actually, by the end, this day turned out to be much better for student interest. I got some very good hits. Now I just have to reel them in. Maybe these kids actually signed up for busses, rather than being herded onto them. They smoke more though, and that is muy mal. I also met a woman working in the commercial sector of the US embassy. She has agreed to help me plan trips in the future. Hell, she had no choice, I’m the only American here.


Sauron's Tower

After a short return to the hotel I take a shuttle into town. Finally, the real Madrid! I navigate the Metro to La Latina stop, where I meet Celene (French girl from neighboring booth) and a friend for a couple of drinks at a neighborhood cerveceria. The fun does not last long, as I must catch the return shuttle to the hotel and get some sleep before another long day. I doubt I’ll participate on this visit in any of the famous Madrileno all-night partying. Alas…

No comments: