Saturday, October 14, 2006

Turkey Two


Above is a mosque that I kept seeing as I went over the bridge from continent to continent (E=right,A=left). My favorite. Small and elegant. This is as close as I got to it. In the far back, on the right, you can see the two big daddies overlapping - Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque.

So Muge took a look at the blog and asked me what “infamous” means. I was sorely tempted to quote Three Amigos – “In-famous is when you're MORE than famous.”

So on Sunday Muge helped me out with the university fair. I was very grateful to have a native speaker at my booth. Whenever I decided that someone was too crazy for me to continue talking to, which was fairly often since many were fasting for Ramadam and not at their mental best, I just handed them off to Muge. It was great. She loved it.

Over the next three days I had a personal driver and zipped all over the dual peninsulas doing school visits. A little tiring. Muge tried to help me find some cool new clothes. Everything was either too small, too expensive, or just too European. Oh well. Had some more good meals, including more cooking from Muge’s mom, and I also hit McDonald’s a couple of times. Why do I do this, you may ask? Well, I’ve been on the road a month now. I’m getting a little tired of it. Why is it that a rowdy dog, who has been kept in the house too long, the first thing he does upon being let out is go and roll in something, then come back smiling (yes, they smile, I have seen it many times)? Same reason. Sometimes you just gotta do something bad for you – shake off all that goodness, rebel. Yes, I eat McDonald’s in foreign countries as a form of rebellion and asserting my American-ness.

On my last day I finished up school visits around 3pm, so I had my driver take me to the Hagia Sophia on the way to the airport. I also visited the underground Basilica Cistern, which was surprisingly cool. Feast your eyes…


At one point there is a wishing pool. I threw in two coins on the same wish. I found out yesterday that it did not come true. Do I get a second chance on the other coin? Anyone know wishing rules...?



No one knows why these bases shaped like Medusa heads were placed here, especially is such deliberate positions (upside-down and sideways). Remember, they would have visible only to those with access to the cistern, and even then been underwater. Sounds like a Dan Brown novel to me...
And here is the Hagia Sophia. Fifteen HUNDRED years old...


A geologist could make a career just studying the stone here.




Mmmm – so sublime. Now I was in the mood to confront the airport assholes. First, I actually tried to do it the proper way. I went to the info desk and asked if there was an office for the tourist police at the airport. Nope. Not only that, but the info guy told me that I could leave a complaint with him, but it would do nothing but be for “my own conscience.” Those guys are all mafia, he said. I wouldn’t get any money back. This, of course, just got me ready for the big show. So, I put on my "I'm pissed off and not messing around" face and went down to their office with my receipt.

“I would like a refund.”
“Yes, what is problem?”
“You ripped me off, that’s the problem. I would like my money back.”
“Sir, one moment. Please have seat.”
“S’okay – I’ll stand.”
Manager comes in – I recognize him.
“Yes?”
“My money, give it back. Now.”
All the other employees have found convenient excuses to leave the office and smoke outside, though they keep glancing in.
“You, you agreed to pay this…”
“You told me it was cheaper than a taxi.”
“I never said that. I said maybe…”
“Okay, your other guy said it. You’re operation is still full of shit. Give me back my money.”
“I can not do that – it would be out of my pocket…”
“Wonderful. Where do you think my money came from? Give it to me.”
“I can give you thirty US dollars.”
“Great.”

That's an abbreviated version of how it went. There was actually a lot more of me repeating, "Give me my money" over his excuses, and maybe an f-bomb or two. It all had the right effect. I actually got my money very quickly. I got about half back, which is what I was shooting for, even though I asked for all of it first. Kids, always ask for more than you are willing to take. That way, the guy was able to bargain a little and save some face. After all, I did come in there and kinda bully him in front of all his employees. Perhaps they should be more discerning in who they seek to screw over.



1 comment:

Panhandle Mama said...

.....your dad has always said the negotiating course he took was the one that has served him best over time.....sounds like you are using the principles effectively WITHOUT taking the course.....this last picture is my favorite........