Thursday, July 20, 2006

30BE Part Two: Chichen to Cancun



OK, so as Mike mentions, we got up real early and took the first bus possible to the ruins of Chichen Itza. He does a good job of writing about it, so I'll just show you my pictures with a few comments...

The above shot is mine - I just manipulated it a bit on the 'ole computer. Kinda looks like a Holga shot, if you know what that is. Below is our buddy shot. Damn, look at those socks.



Below is one of the famous feathered serpents...

Funky noses...

Nice foreground/background juxtaposition...

I amped the shadows on this one so you can see more details. The eagle is devouring the heart of a sacrificial victim...


Where the Mayan CEOs lounged, watching the ball games below. Very Roman of them...


Another method of doing-away with people was throwing them in large sinkholes, or cenotes, as they are called here...

Chief Smoking Snake, in the Observatory, with the Jade Sword...





Say hello to my little friend (baby preying mantis)...


By the way, I'm REALLY looking forward to Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. If anyone knows how to indulge in the finer details of violence, it's Mel. I think he'll do the Mayans (or Azteks, or whatever) right.

So we hopped back on another bus and rode on to Cancun. Yes, we were pestered by a little kid. Yes, I hit him in the head with my guidebook, but it wasn't in the back of the head - it was in the face. Not hard, just a swat. He was looming over the back of my seat, literally breathing down my neck. Like Mike, I actually started to warm up to the little brat by the end. He earned points for perseverance.

In Cancun we found a hostel in town rather than accomodations out on the strip. Shared a four-person dorm with a couple of German kids coming over to do humanitarian work. After a wonderful dinner of rice and shrimp, Mike and I tried to brave the bars and clubs on the beach, but just couldn't handle the "WHOOO!" factor. Too much. However, there was a lot of nice scenery. Still, we came back in and called it an early night.

30BE Travel Tip #2: Men, talcum powder (polvo de talc) can be your best friend, especially in hot, sticky climes. Oh, yes. Now when the ladies leave the table, saying they need to powder themselves, you can say, "Me too!"

No comments: