Friday, July 21, 2006

30BE Part Three: The Island That Shall Not Be Named

So, we decided that we liked Cancun so much that we would stay for a few days. Having gone to bed early, we also rose early and took the first local bus out to the beach. Mike immediately started hitting the bottle, hard. I tried to stop him, but he was a madman. "Tequila!" he roared! "MORE Tequila!!" I tried to at least get him to have it in a drink of some sort, but he would not listen. He slapped a $50 bill on the bar and told the 'tender to just leave him the bottle, and he better damn well bring another when he saw it was gett'n empty. It was downhill from there. With a half-empty bottle of Pepe Lopez in each fist, he went stumbling down the beach. It was all I could do to keep up. Finally, he faltered and went to his knees. As I reached him, drool flew from his lips as he mumbled something about Cuba. Then he was gone - face-down in the sand. I threw him over my shoulder and hiked all the way back to our hostel. No bus would have him. I put him in the bottom bunk and listened to him ramble - some fever dream. You can read his version of it here. I took notes, and helped him to re-create this fantastical journey inside his own addled mind. Even in his own account he has forgotten parts of the dream. I will do my best to fill in.

Mike forgets to mention that on the imagined plane ride to Havana, illicit Cuban rum, Havana Club, was served to all willing passengers. What a dream!

This is the Bar Monserrate, where Mike says we whiled away the first evening...



This is a vista of the valley of Vinales, where Mike dreamt we travelled to the next day...



A re-creation...



A dramatization...



Another re-creation...



Cars like one might find in a dream about Cuba...




The following are things one might see in Havana, if you were to return there after Vinales, in your dream...













Ah, Mike. What an imagination, you drunken sot.
























8 comments:

mike247worldwide said...

That...was...AWESOME! I laughed my drunken arse off.

But, that first picture...time you grew a pair amigA.

Jason Combs said...

OK, OK, I put it in there...

Jason Combs said...

If we hang, we hang together.

Panhandle Mama said...

...if they take you away, I'll try come visit.....so glad Audrey wasn't in the dream......

mike247worldwide said...

Audrey! She was in my nightmare!

mike247worldwide said...

Although she DID say I looked younger in person than in the pix. That's worth a few points.

M.S. Mac said...

Ally's grandmother is going to LOVE to see those pics. She hasnt been there since Baptista's reign. Wow.....Ally and I might need to have a dream like that while we are in St. Vincent. Later.

Tenacious T said...

You're one lucky SOB. Straight out of Hemingway, that dream was. Maybe I should try drinkihng that much tequila and I'd imagine my life as adventurous.