Sunday, September 25, 2005

Limbo

Okay, first off, this is not the post I want to make right now. I have some really, really cool photos to show off, but unfortunately my camera is SO out of juice, I cannot even download to my laptop. This would not be an obstacle, except that the battery charger I bought at CIRCUIT CITY (refund requested, if any corporate bastards are reading this) has decided not to work. Therefore, I give you the following anecdote:

Tomorrow our group flies to Saudi Arabia (one of two countries named after a family. What's the other? Discuss). Reps are taking bets over whether or not I will be detained and jailed at the airport due to some of the "artistic" photos in my school's catalog. We shall see. What IS certain is that no alcohol is allowed within The Kingdom (except at the US Embassy, which I hear throws a kick-ass party). Mark (from Toledo) and I decided that due to this we needed a couple or dozen pints of Guiness the night before the journey. Lucky for us, we found out where the only place in town has The Black Stuff on tap. Quite a cosmopolitan establishment it was: our waitress is the first Uzbek I have ever met, and we ended up befriending a gaggle of Australian platform workers. By "platform" I mean OIL platform. These guys travel around the region by barge, maintenancing platforms. They make quite a bit of money, and try to claim as little as possible, so I will not mention any names. What I will say is that I will never again complain about sub-standard accomodations. Anyone in Southville, or Panama City, has seen a container ship pass by, called so for their cargo containers. Guess where these guys are forced to sleep during their stay? If you said on the ship, that is bad, but not bad enough. They are sleeping on cots INSIDE A CONTAINER. That was their excuse for drinking, and drink they did...

No comments: