Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Bahraini Confessional


The H4: Oil sheiks have so much money, they use it as a planter.


Today was a good day, and a bad day.

The Good:
Three great visits, to schools catering to natives Bahrainis and other Gulf residents (not-expats). We were all way busier at every school than we thought we would be. At the first I went through materials like crazy, at the second I tried to be stingy, at the third I was just out and told kids I'd send them stuff later. I really felt like I did a great job today, not just representing my university, but representing the USA in general. If I get some apps out of it, even better.

Back at the hotel I took a much needed nap, then logged on and started doing yet more catch-up work. I went through my interest cards and made spreadsheets of students and their e-mails by country and event. Then I started sending them follow-up e-mails. At 8pm I met some other reps at a nearby Indian restaurant for dinner (as if I won't get enough Indian food in the next few weeks). Then I came back to my room, opened my bottle of Lebanese wine, and did more e-mail.


Baggage fiasco: that ain't fitt'n in the back of that truck. We ended up hiring two extra cabs, for luggage.

The Bad:
As I finished my mail and wine (it was a half-bottle), Hani knocked on the door. We had agreed to hit the town together, as tomorrow is the first day we have nothing to wake up for. Let me say this now: hanging out with Hani is not bad. That is not what I mean. Hani is a good guy to sit and talk with, just check out his blog.
What I mean is that I did not enjoy the going out - at all. I must be getting old, or mature, or something. But, at the same time I think that, I realize that I have hated the whole "going out" scene for a long, long time. This is coming from someone who has been a patron, bouncer, barback, bartender, and manager of a bar. Familiarity breeds contempt? And if I hate it, why do I feel compelled to still do it? I don't know. I do know that I feel more comfortable working at a bar than frequenting it. I prefer being an observer. Now that I have my "real" job, I'm stuck on the wrong side. I'm thinking it's time to throw in the towel. I gave up TV, why not going out? Another thing I know is that I enjoyed cataloging my student contacts more than I did exploring the local social scene. Ugh. Here are some more pics:


Early AM: Leaving Oman


Construction of the Bahrain World Trade Center. Deja vu anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a career choice!! I've just stumbled onto your blog and am absolutely amazed that you found a way to work and travel - and travel constantly!! Your writing certainly shares the experience, gets me all tingly and ready to go somewhere again. Will most definitely enjoy reading your blog regularly, a little vicarious adventure. Are you from Georgia, or just happen to work there?

Leslie said...

Wow, that picture from leaving Oman is fabulous. Is that where you said your worry ring is from? Still have mine, by the way!
I hear you on the going out thing, as we haven't had the energy or money to do it combined with all of the walking and sight-seeing we've been doing.
And I definitely understand your advice now. Thanks again for that.