Saturday, July 9, 2005

Hurricane Dennis

Yeeeeeeeee-haw!

The first band of storms just hit Panama City. My dad and I got the plywood up just in time. We only covered the windward windows, being cynical locals. Let the recent transplants and Atlanta weekenders board up every surface in sight. We also got all the loose shit out of the back yard and off the porch (no small task). Last night I helped some friends board up their beach-house. In the process, we found that someone had been breaking in and using the place as a f-pad. Nice. Get out the blacklight, PCB CSI.

So my mom's Yorkie is in my lap as I write this, shivering like a Jamaican in Syracuse, NY. The dogs hate these storms. And they just made it through July 4th...

If this is a bad one, I'm sure they'll call it Dennis the Menace. How original. Why not Dracula? My sister believes that by assigning names like Ivan (the Terrible) and Dennis (the Menace), the meteorologists are just asking for bad storms. The catchy-ness of the name acts as manifest destiny. Then how does she explain the severity of Opal?

No comments: