Monday, February 14, 2005

Mumbai Day Seven: My Funny Valentine's Day

I actually managed to make myself sleep in 'til 7:30 this morning. Congrats to me. I ate breakfast then headed out to two solo school visits. They were both in an area called the Bandra Kurla Complex. Going into this spacious, modern development, I thought I'd somehow been beamed to Dubai. Huge, gleaming, brand-new buildings all around. Wide streets. No squalor. Amazing. The schools, the American School of Bombay and Dhirubhai Ambani International School, look like hip office parks surrounded by playgrounds and soccer fields. Wish I'd brought my camera. At each I met with the guidance counselor and took a look around the place, speaking to a few interested students. Then I zipped back to the hotel to say goodbye to M____ and K____ as they caught their cab to the airport.

I finally managed to enjoy the pool a bit. I took some sun, read some Cryptonomicon, ate lunch, and had a swim. After a shower I took my laptop down to the lobby area and CAUGHT UP ON ALL MY E-MAIL! That is, until the sun rises in Southville and they start forwarding me more. Every fourth song the piano guy played was "Funny Valentine." I almost started typing it subconsciously. At sunset I took a break and went out to the point where the movie had been filming to watch the nuclear orb burn through the layer of pollution hugging the horizon. Quite romantic.

No pics today.

No comments: