Thursday, February 17, 2005

Lotta Kolkata (Sorry, Day 10)

Holy Cow! I slept in ‘til 8:30am. That is by far my best yet. Didn’t have an early appointment, so I went to the gym and had a late breakfast. My school visit not being far away, I waited ‘til a half hour before to get a cab. I was still early. It’s amazing what competent drivers can do, and traffic moves pretty well here in Kolkata.

Calcutta International School: I do two informal sessions for students. We chat, have coffee, etc. The teacher will actually be in New York this summer, so I might have to invite him down to get a look at my university. Despite trying to drag it out, I still have a good bit of time before my next stop. I have my driver, who has been waiting (I don’t let a good thing go), to take me to the Victoria Memorial to kill more time. This thing was pretty cool, see pics:


Doesn't he look swell


The whole she-bang


Details...


...details


I love lion statues

Kolkata is not at all what I imagined. I like it. The dirt and poverty is no worse than other Indian cities, and many parts of it are a lot better, as the pics above show. They actually have large swaths of land not encumbered by heaps of discarded trash. I still have time to kill, so the driver takes me for a refreshment.

Fulbright Kolkata: pretty much all grad students. We go through most of the segments on the DVD and talk a lot. I get thrown out after going way over my allotted time.

I’m going to dinner with a prospective student and her mother tonight. More on that later.

1 comment:

Broc Rosser said...

Jason,
You are one crazy hombre! I am enjoying your bloggs and will certainly be praying for you as well. Let me know if you are ever in O-town! If I find a good art student, can I send him/her your way?
Broc Rosser