Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kiwi Coffee


This post has been "in production" since the week that I arrived. I wrote this back then:

"One thing that I am definitely struggling with here in New Zealand is their coffee culture. It is huge. I have never seen so many cafes. In some areas with smaller storefronts, there will literally be three per block, but each will have its own character. Variety is not the problem. The problem is that I am a coffee ascetic, preferring a large cup of some house brew, cream, and several refills please. They don't do that here. No drip coffee, and certainly no refills. All of their drinks are Espresso-based. Their creations are very artistic, but I could care less. I am a coffee gourmand, not a coffee gourmet."

























After a few weeks, I am of a bit different mind. I appreciate the artistry, and I definitely appreciate the size of a latte in a bowl. I've moved off of the "flat white" that is so popular here - just not enough volume. Still no free refills, but I feel that if I'm somewhere with good internet, magazines/newspapers, and/or people-watching, it is worth the price. That said, I do now have a little "one-hitter" for making drip coffee by the cup in the manor/hostel kitchen (thanks to Danielle for that little item), because I need my fix as soon as I wake up, and can't be bothered with making myself presentable enough for the cafes on Ponsonby in the early AM. That's for later in the day.

At this very moment I am sitting at Bona Pizzaria on Ponsonby, in the Three Lamps commercial district, about 20 minutes after that top picture was taken. That's the owner/chef there on the right. He is now in the back making me a lunch pizza.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice post Jason!

Laurie said...

I note the shorts and flipflops: SUMMER.