Thursday, June 7, 2012

NZ Train Journey, Days Eight & Nine: Four Whales and a...


Spent only one night in Christchurch after returning from the TranzAlpine trip. Woke at 6:00am in order to catch the first bus to the train station. Train departed at 7:00am. Rode it as far as Kaikoura and hopped off at 9:55am. That gave me time to walk over and book a room at Dusky Lodge and return to the train station for a morning whale-watching expedition. This is what Kaikoura is known for. From the train station office you are bused to the boat launch on the south side of the peninsula (see map).

The boat launch, looking back at the peninsula and the Kaikoura Mountains further back.
So this is primarily what we were after - the Sperm Whale (no giggling). These are impressive creatures. The largest of the toothed whales. The largest brain of any creature, ever. The deepest diving mammal (almost 10,000 feet), staying down for 45 minutes to an hour and a half, sometimes running into and battling with Giant Squid. Its clicking is the loudest sound produced by any living creature - in addition to sonar, they think it can also be used to stun prey. Ok, I'm done raiding the Wikipedia entry - read the rest for yourself.

The weather was perfect and we got 4 sightings of 3 different Sperm Whales. Videos 1 & 4 are of the same whale, Tutu. The second video is of Mati-mati, and the third is of Taiki.





Now enjoy a short movie on Sperm Whales produced by the Te Papa Museum in Wellington:


After returning from the whale-watching, I wandered into the small commercial center of Kaikoura and pigged out on fish & chips & (oddly) sausage. It was part of the deal. I took a picture of it, but it doesn't really look that appetizing, so I'm not gonna force it on you. I'm not one of those bloggers that must always show you their food (yes, there is something wrong with that). Back at the hostel I ran into some people that I had met previously at the hostel in Christchurch. After doing some laundry, we met back up in the common room and played cards. We ended up playing for a bit too long, because once we finally bothered ourselves to walk downtown, all the bars were closed. It wasn't a total loss though - on the walk back we encountered a little hedgehog scurrying about a landscaped island in a parking lot. Yes, it was cute as (that's some kiwi slang there: "adjective + as").

Spent the next morning online, catching up on my favorite blogs and American news. After lunch I went on a three-hour hike of the Kaikoura peninsula with some of my hostel-mates. I forgot my camera. I keep bugging this German girl via Facebook for her pictures, but she has yet to send them to me, so for now you must satisfy yourself with the Google Earth map of the hike (end of post). We were almost attacked by seals. Afterward, more fish & chips & sausage. We almost needed a Roman vomitorium. (However, I just learned from Wikipedia that in the sense I mean, it is a misinterpretation of the term. Still, you know what I mean.) Back at the hostel we commandeered the hot tub out on the back deck for a couple of hours (who says all hostels are rat-holes?). Once we were all sufficiently pruney, we hopped out, dried off, and went inside to play some more cards. This time we ended in time to get to an open bar - the only open bar. Played pool, then to bed.


Woke up, checked out, and caught the train as it passed through from Christchurch to Picton. More on Day Ten (Leap Day) in the next post.

Heading north from Kaikoura...


View Kaikoura in a larger map

No comments: